The South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame Advisory Committee announces the continuation of the scholarship program for the children of South Carolina law enforcement officers who have died in the line of duty and are honored in the Hall of Fame Memorial Room.
This honor is authorized by the South Carolina State Budget Part 1B Section 63.6, which states: "The Department of Public Safety is hereby authorized to accept donations from the public in order to provide scholarships to the children of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.”
How to Apply
The South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame is now accepting applications for scholarships to be applied towards the fall 2019 academic semester. All children of officers honored by the Hall of Fame who will be enrolled in college during the fall 2019 semester are encouraged to apply. The deadline for applications is May 31, 2019. Awards will be made sometime in July 2018. Applications may be sent directly to the Hall of Fame at 5400 Broad River Road, Columbia, SC 29212.
- The applicant must be the son or daughter of an officer recognized by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame as having lost his or her life in the line of duty.
- The applicant must be enrolled at an accredited college or university during the fall 2019 semester and have the intention of earning an associate, bachelor's, or graduate degree.
- Eligibility is not based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or age.
- The applicant must agree to the use of his or her name, likeness, and the contents of their essay in any media announcements made by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame/South Carolina Department of Public Safety.
- Request an application form by contacting the Hall of fame directly at (803) 896-8199, or or go to Applications and print an application.
- Prepare an essay of between 500 and 750 words in length on the following subject: "What is the importance of law enforcement in American society today?”
- Submit the completed application and essay to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame, 5400 Broad River Road, Columbia, SC 29212 by May 31, 2019.
Method of Selection
- A Scholarship Committee established by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame will review applications based on the criteria listed above, information presented on the application, and the quality of the essay. Their recommendations will be presented for final approval to the Hall of Fame Advisory Committee.
- All decisions made by the Hall of Fame Advisory Committee will be final.
- Scholarship funds are exclusively derived from cash donations received by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame. Therefore, the number and amounts of scholarships will vary from year to year. In some years, there may be no scholarships awarded due to insufficient donations or lack of eligible applicants.
- Amounts awarded will range from $500 to $1,000, depending solely on the availability of funds.
- Scholarships will be presented in July for the fall 2019 academic semester.
For more information, please contact the Hall of Fame Administrator, Jim McClary at (803) 896-8199 or jamesmcclary@SCDPS.gov.