Telecommunications Operators provide voice communications for the Highway Patrol as well as State Transport Police and Bureau of Protective Services at one of four regional Telecommunications Centers throughout the state. Our offices are located in Blythewood, Greenville, Florence and Charleston.
Telecommunications Operators are an invaluable part of the South Carolina Highway Patrol, providing a vital link between the public and the Highway Patrol. They dispatch troopers to traffic collisions and other situations requiring roadside assistance. Telecommunications Operators are often referred to as a “lifeline” for troopers as well as the general public.
- High school diploma or GED
- No criminal record
- Clear driver's record
- Must submit to and pass polygraph examination
- Ability to remain calm and make quick decisions during stressful situations and emergencies;
- Ability to operate a multi-channel radio console and multi-line telephone;
- Ability to convey and interpret communications to and from law enforcement officers and the general public;
- Ability to read a map;
- Basic computer skills;
- Ability to work 12-hour rotating shifts which include days, nights, weekends and holidays.
We want the most highly qualified candidates to join our team. That is why our training is specialized and intense. Telecommunications Operators attend several courses at the Criminal Justice Academy where they learn to operate communications equipment such as the 800 MHz radio, the NCIC terminal and the Computer-Aided Dispatch System.
In addition to training at the Academy, Telecommunications Operators also receive on-the-job training with an experienced operator to learn and develop skills required to offer assistance to troopers and other law enforcement agencies, as well as the motoring public.
- TCO I - $31,656: Initial starting salary - no experience and not NCIC certified.
- TCO II - $34,109: Serves as a TCO I for 18 months. Completes all certifications.
- TCO III - $36,562: Serves as a TCO II for 18 months. Maintains all certifications.