Media: All photos and narratives can be found here: SCHP 2020 Trooper of the Year . Ceremony photos can also be found on the SCDPS Facebook page.
COLUMBIA — The South Carolina Department of Public Safety Highway Patrol Division named its 2020 Trooper of the Year and Telecommunications Operator (TCO) of the Year today. The winners were chosen from regional winners from around the state. This year’s Statewide Trooper of the Year was Lance Corporal Elijah A. Metherd from Troop 5, Post C (Georgetown/Williamsburg). He was recognized for his efforts in saving a woman who was about to jump from a bridge in the Pee Dee.
Stephanie Morgan, of the Greenville Telecommunications Center, was chosen as the Telecommunications Operator of the Year from four regional Telecommunications Centers around the state for her dedication to helping her fellow TCOs and the center in order to best serve the public.
“Our troopers have a dangerous and difficult mission, and yet day after day, they risk their lives to serve others,” said SCDPS Director Robert G. Woods, IV. “Our Telecommunications Operators are often the unsung heroes who stand as the connection between the trooper and the motoring public. We are so thankful to be able to recognize those who have done an exceptional job as they have followed their calling to help others and make our state a safer one.”
Col. Chris Williamson, the Commander of the South Carolina Highway Patrol said:
“This group of men and women represent the spirit of selfless, service, integrity and responsibility,” Williamson said. “Our troopers and TCOs have been challenged like never before to continue to perform their duties in an outstanding manner while balancing safety concerns due to COVID-19 this past year. We are pleased to honor these heroes today.”
2020 Statewide Trooper of the Year:
- Troop 1, Post D (Richland): Corporal Jacob T. Atwood
- Troop 2, Post B (Abbeville / Greenwood): Trooper First Class Andrew J. Cwynar
- Troop 3, Post C (Greenville): Lance Corporal Tyler D. Landreth
- Troop 4, Post C (Chester / Fairfield): Trooper Christopher A. Plyler
- Troop 5, Post C (Georgetown / Williamsburg): Lance Corporal Elijah A. Metherd
- Troop 6, Post C (Beaufort / Jasper): Lance Corporal Jeb Fay
- Troop 7, Post A (Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Hampton): Lance Corporal Antonio J. Griffin
- Troop 8, Region II (Safety Improvement Team): Master Trooper Donald R. Weatherwalks
- Troop 9, Post D - Pee Dee MAIT: Master Trooper Eren Demirer
- Troop 10, SCHP Training: Sergeant Kenneth W. Collins
Left to Right: Collins, Plyler, Demirer, with Col. Chris Williamson, Metherd, Atwood. Back row: Weatherwalks,
Landreth, Cwynar, Fay, Griffin.
2020 Statewide Telecommunications Operator of the Year Winner (chosen from four regional Telecommunications Centers) Stephanie Morgan, Greenville Telecommunications Center
Regional Telecommunications Center Winners:
- Blythewood Telecommunications Center: Aviana McMahan
- Florence Telecommunications Center: Bradley Kennedy
- Charleston Telecommunications Center: Laveetra Grant
- Greenville Telecommunications Center: Stephanie Morgan
SCHP Col. Chris Williamson, McMahan, Grant, Kennedy, Capt. Don Dickerson accepting for Stephanie Morgan.
The South Carolina Department of Public Safety includes the Highway Patrol, State Transport Police, Bureau of Protective Services, Office of Highway Safety and Justice Programs, and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame. Our mission is to ensure public safety by protecting and serving the people of South Carolina and its visitors.