COLUMBIA — The South Carolina Department of Public Safety named its 2021 Trooper of the Year and Telecommunications Operator (TCO) of the Year today. The winners were chosen from regional winners across the state. This year’s Statewide Trooper of the Year was Master Trooper David G. Jones, Troop One/Midlands Community Relations Officer. He was recognized for saving a child who had fallen into a swimming pool.
TCO Chelsie Cribb and TCO Jessica Wiebalk, of the Charleston Telecommunications Center, were chosen as the Telecommunications Operator of the Year from among four regional Telecommunications Centers for their assistance to troopers during the apprehension of suspects involved in several vehicle thefts.
“The troopers who were honored today made a split-second decision that saved a life; put in the extra time to help solve a case; or went the extra mile to make South Carolina’s roadways safer,” SCDPS Director Robert G. Woods, IV said. “We were also proud to honor our outstanding Telecommunications Operators who serve as a crucial link between troopers and the motoring public.”
Col. Christopher Williamson, Commander of the S.C. Highway Patrol, said:
“By putting the needs of others above their own, these troopers embody the true meaning of being a public servant. When someone calls for help, our Telecommunications Operators are their first point of contact with the Highway Patrol, keeping these callers calm while obtaining vital details so the troopers can better assist them. Each is an integral part of our mission to reduce collisions and fatalities on South Carolina’s roadways.”
2021 Statewide Trooper of the Year
Troop winners: SCHP 2021 Trooper Of the Year | SCDPS (read the winner narratives)
- Troop 1, Post B (Kershaw/Lee): Trooper T.A. Johnson
- Troop 2, Post A (Laurens/Newberry): L/Cpl. R.G. “Rob” Chase
- Troop 3, Post D (Spartanburg): L/Cpl. J.M. Gardner
- Troop 4, Post B (York): L/Cpl. D.A. Bunch
- Troop 5, Post C (Georgetown/Williamsburg): L/Cpl. A.J. Marshall
- Troop 6, Post A (Berkeley/Charleston): Trooper H.L. Green
- Troop 7, Post B (Calhoun/Orangeburg): Trooper First Class J.J. Richardson
- Troop 8, Region 1 (Safety Improvement Team): Master Trooper J.L. Baldwin
- Troop 9, Post C (Coastal MAIT): L/Cpl. N.R. Everhart
- Troop 10 (Community Relations, Recruiting and Employment Unit): Master Trooper D.G. Jones
Front Row: Tpr. H.L. Green, L/Cpl. D.A. Bunch with Col. Chris Williamson, L/Cpl. R. G. Chase, Tpr. T. A. Johnson
Back Row: TFC J.J. Richardson, L/Cpl. J.M. Gardner, M/Tpr. D.G. Jones, L/Cpl. N.R. Everhart, L/Cpl. A.J. Marshall
2021 Statewide Telecommunications Operator of the Year Winner (chosen from four regional Telecommunications Centers): Co-recipients: Chelsie Cribb and Jessica Wiebalk, Charleston Telecommunications Center
Chelsie Cribb Jessica Wiebalk
Regional Telecommunications Center Winners: SCHP 2021 Trooper Of the Year | SCDPS (read winner narratives)
- Blythewood Telecommunications Center: TCO Taurean Kinard
- Florence Telecommunications Center: Assistant Telecommunications Supervisor Carl DeVault
- Charleston Telecommunications Center: TCO Chelsie Cribb and TCO Jessica Wiebalk
- Greenville Telecommunications Center: TCO April Smith (not pictured)
TCO Chelsie Cribb, TCO Taurean Kinard, Col. Chris Williamson, TCO Carl DeVault, TCO Jessica Wiebalk
Director’s Distinguished Service Awards
Lt. Colonel J.T. Manley (Headquarters); Trooper Adam Piszczatoski (Troop 2, Post C); Trooper Corey Fulmer (Troop 1/Post C);
Col. Christopher Williamson; First Sgt. Adam Antley (Troop 1/Post D); Trooper Kenneth Scribellito (Troop 1/Post C).
The South Carolina Department of Public Safety includes the Highway Patrol, State Transport Police, Bureau of Protective Services, Office of Highway Safety and Justice Programs and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame. Our mission is to ensure public safety by protecting and serving the people of South Carolina and its visitors.